Japanese Food Questions

Started by Hoshi "Terry" Toranaga, 07.11.2016 13:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoshi "Terry" Toranaga

So I finally got hold of a good recipie for Aomori style ramen... and it was delicious :)

Hoshi "Terry" Toranaga

Icke C (Dennis)

machst du das auch auf dem Boot? :D

Hoshi "Terry" Toranaga

Quote from: Icke C (Dennis) on 12.11.2017 21:50
machst du das auch auf dem Boot? :D

Once upon a time, not so long ago:
Terry and his 6 crewmates were at anchor in a nice small bay at the island of Dugi Otok.
As a German boat came near and also dropped its anchor the Germans started to bring out the beer and bread and some weird looking sausages that did not look too fresh, when disturbed by a nice smell from our boat.
Funny they asked "na was gibts denn bei euch da" aka "yo whats for lunch?" not thinking it would be much.
The kind answer of the Skipper Terry was simple: "Oh we have some freshly toasted baguette with tomatoes, peppers and cheese and then a simple seafood risotto with truffles from the island of Cres and some Cianti from Scarlino to wash it down."
Even more funny the German crew abandoned their lunch to visit our ship for some leftovers :)

Hoshi "Terry" Toranaga

Hoshi "Terry" Toranaga

People sometimes ask, is the best steak really Japanese Kobe?

Well there now is Kobe (certified) beef from Styria (my home) and YES besides the Wagyu I had in Aibo in Japan this is the best steak...

See pics...
Hoshi "Terry" Toranaga

Icke C (Dennis)

Quote from: Hoshi "Terry" Toranaga on 20.11.2017 14:17
People sometimes ask, is the best steak really Japanese Kobe?

Well there now is Kobe (certified) beef from Styria (my home) and YES besides the Wagyu I had in Aibo in Japan this is the best steak...

See pics...
Das musst du auch mitbringen.

BayYan

Quote from: Hoshi "Terry" Toranaga on 12.11.2017 19:24
So I finally got hold of a good recipie for Aomori style ramen... and it was delicious :)

It is dangerous to see pictures of ramen at night. :shock:
I will go out to eat it! lol

Hoshi "Terry" Toranaga

Hoshi "Terry" Toranaga

Hoshi "Terry" Toranaga

Hoshi "Terry" Toranaga

Hoshi "Terry" Toranaga

Hoshi "Terry" Toranaga

Joshua "Gaookami" O'Connell

This thread is rapidly becoming a japanese food enslavement camp
Gelber Vogel fliegt
Grauer Drache weise flieht
Ehre ist mir Pflicht

Red petals flying
Life is flowing so do I
Leaving signs behind

BayYan

I also saw a dangerous image!
I am tempted to go to Tukiji and get tempted to eat seafood bowl.

Hoshi-san, Did you cook the seafood bowl?

Hoshi "Terry" Toranaga

Ie BayYan san. Photo was taken at "Memori Sushi" the new Sushi place in my hometown. Prepared by Sushi Master Hiro Sakamoto.
Master Hiro is now 62 years old and was the Sushi Master at a high profile Los Angeles Sushi bar, he now moved to Austria to retire, but wanted to help one of his students to build up his business and so he will be making sushi here for the next 5 years, before retiring completely. Master Hiro in his youth learned for 15 years at the famous Jiro Sushi in Tokio.
I am planning of having his Omakase next week.
Hoshi "Terry" Toranaga

Hoshi "Terry" Toranaga

Now for some easy made summer food: Salmon Teriyaki

Get some Salmon belly (Lachs Bauch) with good marbling (fatty).

You just need:
- Salmon belly
- Thick Teriyaki Sauce (see my Teriyaki Sauce recipie in the other thread or buy a good brand)
- Salt and Pepper
- Peanut Oil
- Sushi Rice

Preparation:
Take the salmon belly (with skin) and make sure the skin is cleaned and all the fins and hard parts are cut off. Slice in filets or cubes of fish or put on skewers.
But some salt and pepper on both sides (skin side and inner side) and let it sit for one minute while you heat some peanut oil in the pan.
DO NOT HEAT IT TOO MUCH, this is no steak, so you just need medium heat similar if you cook veggies.
Put the salmon in and slowly fry it on both sides. When it is about 50% done (you see a little fat ooze out of the fish), remove the fish from the pan and put on paper towel to drain fat.
Remove all the fat from the pan and clean the pan with paper towel.
Put the pan back on the medium heat stove and put the fish back in (no oil!) and glace it with the teriyaki sauce. Cook for another 1-2 minutes while always glacing with sauce, the sauce with thicken. Take care not to use too much heat, the teriyaki should thicken up but not burn in the pan.
When you are ready put the Salmon belly slices on the sushi rice and you can use some greens to show it off or give a little lemmon on the teriyaki if you like.

Hoshi "Terry" Toranaga

Hoshi "Terry" Toranaga

A perfect evening....
Hoshi "Terry" Toranaga

BayYan

It is interesting to cut tuna thinly.